The big picture is Islam rampant – the Islamic Crusade to take / make over the the Middle East, sub-Saharan Africa and points beyond !
The little picture is that there is a deadly family squabble going on as to who will lead that crusade – a Sunni-led lslamic Crusade or an Iranian / Shiite-led Islamic Crusade.
The family fight has been out in the open since civil war started in Syria. It has now expanded back to Iraq. Our Hamlet at the Helm is so self-obsessed with polishing up his own coming noble, er, Nobel Peace “legacy” that he is blind to see this forest for the trees; or else too self-absorbed with asking the mirror on the wall who’s the coolest of them all.
It is in the strategic interest of the U.S. to stop: Sunni jihadist Isis from winning; and, equally, Shiite jihadist Iran from gaining Iraq and winning. And then, to get them both out of Iraq and Syria !
But it is a disasterous strategic mistake to go to Malaki and the now operationally Iranian-controlled Iraqi military and government to offer help!
WE NEED TO GO TO THE SUNNIS AND KURDS – AND OFFER THEM A DEAL – HELP AND PROTECTION. AND THEN, USE A DEAL WITH THE SUNNIS AND KURDS – TO FORCE MALAKI AND THE SHIA TO COME TO THE BARGAINING TABLE AND WORK A DEAL WITH THE SUNNIS AND KURDS !
* So, forget asking Malaki to form a coalition government: he and the Iranians understand that special pleading to mean that the only chips America has to bargain with – are our sense of our own weakness and cluelessness! News Flash: Malaki just trumped Obama’s weak hand – no coalition government.
* So, forget bombing Sunni Jihadists: a ll Iraqi Sunnis will see America as not just continuing the past handover of Iraq to the Shiites and to Iran as keepers, but as compounding that betrayal by undermining their attempt to free, yes free, themselves from Shia exploitation!
* So forget, in the here and now, giving Malaki’s “army” of Shiite militias intelligence information: It’s only of benefit to Iranian-controlled militias and their take-over of the Iraqi military.
* And so, don’t forget, our “Supreme Leader” has it bass ackwards again – AMERICA’S GOT TO GO TO THE SUNNIS AND KURDS IN ORDER TO GET FROM THE SHIITES !
RECALL GENERAL PETRAEUS.
* Treat it as an opportunity – “All right, they’re on our left, they’re on our right, they’re in front of us, they’re behind us…they can’t get away this time.” (Lefty Puller, USMC)
* To deal in the Middle East and in a tribal world, you’ve got to be a horse trader.
* And Gen. Petraeus demonstrated in the Surge and the Awakening that he is America’s consummate military & political horse trader.
Hamlet at the Helm may show his moves on a basketball court, but here he’s a deer caught in the headlights. Time to turn this back over to the A-Team and get General Petraeus into the game. He can both understand and learn from Isis. And, dollars to donuts, he can cut a better deal with the Sunnis.
* WHAT WE NEED IS TO SEND OUR SPECIAL OPS TO THE SUNNI TRIBES AND TO THE KURDS. Horse trade with them to (1) arm them to help them in exchange for getting rid of Isis now that they have reclaimed the Sunni heartland from the oppression of the Baghdad government, and (2) offer to protect them from the Shia militia army ! Get the targeting for Isis from the Sunni tribes.
* What we then need is to use those – real value – chips to go back to the Baghdad government and from a position of that real strength: (1) get the Shiites to agree to real power-sharing; and (2) to get the Shiites to agree to get the Iranians out of Iraq – or there’s no deal.
* Yes, it means that we have to set the stage for Malaki and Iran to believe and know that America has changed and will accept “All (Gaul) Iraq is divided into three parts, one of which the Sunni inhabit, the Kurds another, those who are called Shia, the third.” In other words, America will accept three autonomous regions (the Wilson 14 Points; if not the “Putin Doctrine”) to protect the Sunnis and to be a blocking force again the Iranians. So the Shia must either risk losing Iraq or accepting real power sharing.
America stands for self-determination or real union – there will be no “third way.” That’s horse trading that Malaki and the Shiites understand.